There is no secret that increasing consumer demand for economical cars or vehicles has sparked a small car renaissance among United States automakers. Nearly five years ago, it was tough to find five entry-level small cars to recommend. If you are in market for the new economical car that does not feel small in value, the following cars should be on your preference list.
- 2013 BMW 1-Series: With moderately priced compact cars, Audi and BMW have expanded their lineups and with the CLA Mercedes Benz will soon do the same. The Mercedes yet to come and the Audi A3 due for a redesign, so our favorite of the group is the BMW 1-Series. It’s enough with the base engine in 128i, but 300 horsepower turbocharged inline six cylinder in 135i makes it as a rocket. The 1-Series is offering most of the vaunted 3-Series handling prowess, but with a slightly lower price and a bit less refinement.
- 2013 Buick Verano: Sometimes the brand image can hurt when small luxury cars built on an economy car platform. But with General Motor’s Buick Verano it is different. It is based on Chevrolet Cruze, which also made this list, but Verano offers quieter interior and even more refinement than Cruze. Available 250 horsepower turbocharged four cylinder engine adds muscle to natural athleticism of compact’s.
- 2013 Chevrolet Cruze: The Cruze is the best small car from Chevrolet. It offers levels of refinement and quietness those are not just impressive for General Motors, but for the automotive market (in general). Base engine is fuel efficient, but the better choice is 1.4 liter turbocharged four cylinder. It provides better fuel economy (in the Eco trim up to 42 mpg highway) offers more torque, and quieter. Inexpensive and roomy, to the typical small midsize sedan, Cruze is an economical alternative.
- 2013 Chevrolet Sonic: If Cruze is not the best small car then the Chevrolet has another ever built, Sonic. It is having the same engine choices as Cruze but in smaller package. Its lighter weight makes it more agile and quicker than its bigger sibling. The Sonic hatchback with the 1.4 liter engine and six speed manual transmission is sporty.
- 2013 Dodge Dart: The Dodge Dart offers technology and refinement which we do not expect in the small car class. As a typical midsize car, it has much rear seat space. We like 1.4 liter turbocharged engine with manual transmission. But CEO of Chrysler feels that the dual clutch automated manual transmission is not right for the American audience. That will be correct with the release of forthcoming nine speed automatic transmission, which make Dart as good as any car in the class.
The other small cars that you consider of 2013 models are Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Mazada Mazda3, Mazda MX-5 Miata, MINI Cooper, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen Golf and GTI.
Read the rest of this post